Monday 27 January 2014

Music Monday: James Swearingen

James Swearingen
In high school I was in band and that is where I got introduced to this composer. For those who are close to me they know that I am a complete music nut inside and out. I had been in choir from grades 1 to 13 (I did a victory lap), was in band from grade 7-13, got the chance to play the alto recorder in grade 6 which had completely different fingering from the soprano and tenor recorders, as well as I had piano lessons from about grades 1-8. Any who long story short I am a music nerd. If I ever get frustrated just listening to the pop music I have on my ipod I will flip to old choir pieces I have sung or any old band pieces or performed or just any instrumental music  and will instantly feel better.

James Swearingen is probably one of my favourite composers along with George Bizet, and Robert W. Smith. I would have to say my favourite composition by Swearingen so far (I'm still discovering more) would be Flight of Valour. I don't know what it is about this piece but it makes me happy and I love listening to it. He is a brilliant composer and I enjoy playing his pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment