Monday 10 February 2014

Mental Health Monday: Music cures

This week in my residence we are putting on a mental health awareness week. There are a variety of activities that the R.A's have planned and tonight's was a coffee house and trivia night. Mental health is a cause that is dear to me because I have witnessed the damage that can be done to someone suffering from a mental illness. More and more people need to be aware of what exactly it is that can cause mental health illnesses and how to help those suffering from such an illness. I found myself being very impressed by my residence for deciding to put on such thing as a mental health awareness week.

Tonight at the coffee house and trivia night I had the chance to perform on my flute for the first time in a while instead of opting to sing which is what I normally do. I played the song A Thousand Years by Christina Perri and though that doesn't relate to mental health I find it to be a powerful song that is meaningful to me. I didn't talk about those who I have witnessed and helped through mental health illnesses but to me the song represents how my friends know that I am and will continue to always be there for them in their time of need. Just one call, or one text, or even one message saying you are there for someone can change someone's life forever.

For those of my friends who have gone through mental health problems the thing they all had in common that helped is music. Even for myself and with my own issues I have faced about mental health music is the one thing that helps someone to heal. Music is a cure for anyone who loves music as much as I do and tonight it was proven for those who came together to perform it brought everyone just a little bit closer. We may not have all known each other, we may not have all been that close but in that moment or that song it brought everyone a little bit closer. No judging, no rude remarks just pure positive energy and support for fellow musicians and fellow residents.


No comments:

Post a Comment